Tuesday, July 26, 2011

*Amazing Banana Bread.


Food Lion always has bananas that are a little past their prime time for a little over $.30 cents. Last week they were still pretty good, so I bought a bunch. We didn't eat all of them and today they were almost completely black. So it was either bread or trash. They were lucky I was in the baking mood. I tried a new recipe, super easy and OH my gosh delicious.

I thought I was going to freeze one loaf, but we already ate almost all of the first one. My favorite part is that it takes a lot of bananas making it super moist.

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 Teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg 
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas (5-6 medium)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of cooking oil
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Topping
3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons of butter. 
Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut into it until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. You can add 1/3 cup of walnuts.
I made 2 loafs and doubled the topping.

Grease one or two (for thinner loafs) loaf pans. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon of Salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture set aside.

In a medium bowl combine Eggs, bananas, sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture, fold in nuts. Spoon batter into pans, sprinkle topping on it and bake. 

Preheat oven to 350* bake 50 -55 min. for one loaf and 40 - 45 min for 2 loafs. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 min, remove from pan let it cool completely. Wrap and store over night. 

We ate it warm and it was really good, I will try the other one tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo I love banana bread! This recipe looks really good! I love your new blog Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete